Our Historic Building
The Oldsmar Bank Building, built in 1918 and chartered as a bank in 1919. The building stands today as it did more than 100 years ago, and is the only surviving original commercial building in Oldsmar.
The old bank building is rich in history and now the home of the Oldsmar Historical Society Museum.
From 1974 to 1986 the old bank building served as Oldsmar's city hall, From 1991 to the fall of 2007, it was also the home of the Oldsmar Library.
One of the first buildings Ransom Eli Olds had erected (and the only one remaining) that was strategically placed in the heart of what Ransom E. Olds called downtown.
When the bank opened in 1920 it was reported to be handling more than one million worth of deposits. State records show that January 1, 1926, the bank's original capital stock of $15,000 was increased to $30,000 and its name changed to "First State Bank of Tampa Shores". In 1933 the bank went into voluntary liquidation on February 16, 1933, the bank closed.
After the bank closed the building change hands many times and served throughout the years as a machine shop, the towns post office, a grocery store, neighboorhood youth center, the Oldsmar library. The building was purchased by the city of Oldsmar in 1974.
The buildings' exterior is constructed of rare white Italian glazed brick and decorated with Italian tiles.
Today it houses the Oldsmar Historical Society Museum, the Upper Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce, and City Council Chambers and workshop.